Grassroots political action by MRA members is vital to retail’s success in the legislative arena. Your personal involvement helps bring progress on issues affecting retailers and other Michigan businesses.
No one knows better than you what’s needed to improve Michigan’s business climate for retailing. No one knows better than you how proposed legislation will affect your business and your community. Legislators take your concerns as a constituent and local employer very seriously.
Here are some ways you can get involved:
• Learn who your legislators are and how they stand on retail issues.
• Get information from MRA’s legislative team and keep us informed of your grassroots activities.
• Phone or write letters to lawmakers when important issues arise.
• Invite legislators to your business and to community meetings and events.
• Support pro-retail candidates by contributing to MRA Political Action Committee.
• Work with MRA to testify before legislative committees on proposed legislation affecting retailers.
• Communicate with your local newspapers and television and radio stations on retail issues.
• Provide your employees and colleagues with information on key issues.
Writing a letter
One of the easiest ways to make your voice heard is by writing a letter to your legislators. Here’s how:
• Include your local address or write on company letterhead.
• Be brief and to the point.
• If you are writing about specific legislation, give the bill number (if possible) and a short description and tell what position you wish them to take on the proposal.
• Provide a brief description of your business and details on how the issue will affect your business in terms of sales, costs, employees, wages and benefits. Tell in your own words how you feel and use examples to illustrate.
• Close by urging them to give the matter serious consideration and thanking them for their attention.
Address letters to:
Find your Senator
The Honorable (Name)
P.O. Box 30036
Lansing, MI 48909-7536
Dear Senator (Name):
Find your Representative
The Honorable (Name)
Michigan House of Representatives
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Dear Representative (Name):
Remember, your grassroots involvement makes a difference! Contact MRA’s Amy Drumm, Manager, Government Affairs, at 800.366.3699 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about how you can participate in MRA’s legislative advocacy efforts.