MRA’s advocacy efforts have deep roots.
Founded in 1940, MRA first advocated on behalf of retailers against a proposed sales tax. Since then, MRA’s Government Affairs works continuously to secure passage of retail friendly legislation in Michigan and protect the retail industry from costly and harmful taxes and regulations.
What does advocacy mean to you?
- Keeping you informed – we track and update you on current and pending Michigan legislation and rules.
- Getting you access – when you have a question, we’ll get you an answer. We have relationships with all state departments and agencies and can get help with any program you’re facing with state government. So remember, Ask Us First!
- Acting as your shield – we tackle tough issues on behalf of all our members so you can stay out of the spotlight and focus on your business.
- Election guidance – every 2 years we evaluate and recommend “Friends of Retail” candidates so you don’t have to.
When it comes to retail, trust us to protect your bottom line.
- Pre-empted local governments from passing ordinances and policies dealing with employee wages and benefits
- Prohibited local product bans or local taxes on plastic bags, food, and beverages
- Enacted Main Street Fairness and Marketplace legislation to help level the playing field for Michigan retail businesses by ensuring Michigan sales tax is collected fairly on every purchase
- Modernized the state’s costly and burdensome item pricing law by giving retailers price marking flexibility and saving retailers and consumers money
- Cracked down on organized retail crime through the passage of the Organized Retail Crime Act and creation of the Organized Retail Crime Advisory Board
- Pro-retail changes in sales tax collection
- Phased out the Single Business Tax and replaced the Michigan Business Tax with a more business-friendly corporate profits tax